Saturday, January 28, 2017

Winter Honeybee Hive Update

The candy board the worker bees were already eating,
because of lack of food stored.
© Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2017
In parts of the Midwest, unusually warm temperatures created a spring-like feel in the middle of winter for a couple of days this January. When temperatures go above 50 degrees Fahrenheit, honeybees can fly outside their hive to go to the bathroom. They also do some hive maintenance, such as carrying out dead bees.

My hive was already in trouble last fall from the chemicals sprayed by a disrespectful resident across the road, who sprayed on my land. This idiot's stupidity caused my hive population to nearly die completely off, several thousands were dead. After this incident occurred, I have done everything I could to help this queen and her workers. With the warmer temps, I wanted to change the candy board food if the worker bees were already eating it. I figured they were since they didn't have enough food store, because of a lack of worker bees to do the gathering work last fall after the die off.
Sugar mixture heating up.
© Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2017



I had to make a spare candy board. With my hand/arm disabilities, I cannot make a full candy board at one time. I have to find ways to adapt, so I had to make it in two batches. Off to work I went - standing over a stove, stirring a sugar mixture. It took about two hours, but if it helps this hive to survive the rest of winter, that time and cost will be well worth it.


Hot candy poured into frame.
© Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2017
Another two hours was needed for the hot candy board to cool and harden. When it was ready, I zipped up into my beesuit, and went to check the hive. Some workers were out on the landing board. I watched as one worker pulled a dead bee off and flew several inches with it before landing on the ground. Pretty amazing to watch!

I pulled off the candy board I had put on in November, and some worker bees were busy eating on it. I took one quick look between the frames, then slid the new candy board on.

I had to gently sweep the bees off the old candy board, which I will fill in with more candy, in the hopes the temps will be warm enough in February to allow me to change it again.

The worker bees filling their bellies.
© Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2017
                                                                        As I carried the partially eaten candy board to the house, I found one little worker was still eating within a groove. I was able to coax her onto the hive brush, and got a great picture of her.

Please keep this hive in your prayers that they will survive the rest of winter and start thriving again in the warmer temperatures of spring. We need all the pollinators we can get, and I want to truely be considered a beekeeper!!
Stowaway being returned to hive.
© Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment