Saturday, January 14, 2017

Irresistible Squeaky Dog Toys

My Beloved Koda
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2014
Dog toys – they stimulate a dog’s play drive, helps with boredom, and provides exercise. If the toys have squeakers inside, some dogs will tear apart the toy to get to the squeaker, leaving you looking at the toy’s fabric in shreds and pieces of stuffing littering the floor or couch. In addition, if you are like me, you are thinking about the money that was wasted.

For years, I prided myself on providing squeaker toys to my dogs and teaching them to enjoy them rather than ripping them to pieces. Many times I had people say, “You can’t teach a dog not to tear up squeaker toys!” I assured them I could and had with several dogs.

I have taught medium size to large size dogs to play with their toys, and not tear them apart. One might think it would be more difficult to teach bigger dogs, but I have found it to be easier to do than the dinky dogs. The Chihuahuas, or in the case of my beloved late Koda – a three quarters Chihuahua, one quarter min pin, I have been challenged greatly in my endeavors to keep the toys intact.
Koda had learned to play and not tear up his toys.
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2014

What could possibly be the difference? A dog is a dog, right?!

I have pondered this dilemma greatly. My conclusion is this: bigger dogs are right there in the way for you to step or trip over, so you notice them being too rough on a toy, snatch it away, ultimately saving the toy, leaving the bigger dog bewildered, as you go about your chores with the toy safely out of reach.

When it comes to the dinky dogs, they are, obviously, quite small, and that smallness is a breeding ground for sneakiness. For example, dinky dogs can look to be innocently snuggled up against the arm of the couch with a brand new squeaky toy. They are so small; they are nearly out of your view. They appear to be ready to fall asleep. Then, as you go about your chores, your dinky dog makes quick work at opening the squeaky toy. Their little teeth cut through the threads along the seam, just like scissors on paper. A small hole has been created. And poof, there’s the all magical, all wonderful stuffing. Meticulous that sneaky, dinky dog begins to pull bits of stuffing out.
Spritzen Nala O'Chi with new toy.
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons
December 2016


Alas, you walk back into the room to find snippets of stuffing on the floor and couch. You grab the toy, looking for the hole and find none, as I did. I gave the toy back and sat down on the couch to watch a movie. Meanwhile, that dinky dog pulls the toy to the floor, just outside your view, and begins to work on that hole even more, opening it up further, exposing the irresistible stuffing. All of a sudden, you realize there is a large pile of stuffing lying there, looking like a white fluffy cloud. Subsequently, you look at your Chihuahua, who looks up at you with innocent eyes that say, “I really didn’t do anything wrong. White stuff? What white stuff? It must be a figment of your imagination!”
The Guilty Spritzen Nala O'Chi!!
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons
January 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment