Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Beehive & Chickens Ready for Winter?

My apologies for missing my post. I have been under the weather for nearly two months. Lots of various respiratory problems going around among adults and children in the area. The worse being pneumonia with pleurisy, which I am recovering from.

Hive closed up for the winter.
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons
November 2016
Let's update the farm news. First, my beehive has been shut up for the winter. The bees didn't have the food stores or population needed after having the chemical over-spray kill off a large number of worker bees in late summer.

The queen did her best to increase the population, along with my efforts to keep the girls fed. I used a thick sugar water mixture all through September up to mid November when the temps were suppose to drop below freezing. At this point, the mixture, in glass jars, had to be removed to keep them from freezing and breaking. I did add a candy board, which is a supplemental feed for winter use.

It will take a miracle for this hive to survive the winter, but God still does miracles. Time will tell.

The chickens were laying well, but have decreased some with the lack of light. The older girls (Wyandottes) are either molting or have finished molting. I feel so bad for the two girls who are still molting, with temps dropping below zero degrees Fahrenheit.
Golden Laced Wyandotte Hen Molting.
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons
December 2016

 I have wrapped the north and west ends of the chicken run with tarps. I used to use twine to tie the tarps to the fencing, which was time consuming and cold on the fingers. Then, I started using wire zip-ties, which I believe is the best way to attach the tarps. (Wire cutters work well in the spring to cut the zip-ties.)

The two Wyandotte girls who are still molting have access to being inside their house, but seem to prefer being outside most of the time. At night after shutting their small door, I always go around to the big door to check, by flashlight, that all are accounted for. The molting girls either climb into a nest box for warmth, or huddle beside the other girls.

Before the light fades away in the late afternoon, I give the chickens some kind of treat to help them stay warmer throughout the night. The various treats I give included: oatmeal, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, raisins, pumpkin seeds, and more. All feed and treats are organic.

Red oak providing warmth.
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons
December 2016
The woodstove is keeping our house nice and toasty. I am thankful for this warmth, as it is cheaper than propane or electric heat. Carrying in wood is a free chance at getting exercise.

Stay warm and have a wonderful Christmas!!


No comments:

Post a Comment