Saturday, February 13, 2016

Silver Laced Wyandotte Chicken

Living on a small farm with farm animals means there is life, but along with life there can be death. This past week the Midwest has experienced extremely cold temperatures, with some days in the single digits. Winds have been blowing the temps below zero, as far as wind chill factor.

Golden Laced Wyandotte Hen
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2016
 The Hens Nest Inn has a small door for the hens. Whenever I close that door, I go inside the fenced pen and pull open the bigger door to count my girls. I got six chicks – the minimum sold; and fortunately, all six grew into beautiful Silver Laced and Golden Laced Wyandotte hens. On Tuesday, I only counted five. I thought maybe one was sitting in one of two nest boxes, but no.

Rolling the big door closed so the girls wouldn’t get too chilled, I looked under the Inn, since it is up on legs that are up on blocks. This design allowed me to put a rectangular sandbox underneath with dusting materials in it – dry sand, dirt, and some wood ashes. In the summer, this area allows the girls to get out of the sun. When there is snow on the ground, this is a snow free zone for the girls to walk around in. 
"The Hens Nest Inn"
(Chicken House)
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2016

When I looked, there in the dusting box laid my hen. She was gone. This caused me to remember an event that occurred when I was eight or nine and lived on a small farm for three years. Our farm was surrounded by a couple of housing editions and an apartment complex, all of which had been pastures just a few years before. For me it was paradise.

Our farm was a place for horses and a multitude of cats that found their way to our barn. Grandpa got us a Holstein (black and white) calf, which had to be fed from a big bottle. I remember trying to hanging onto that bottle with both hands and arms wrapped around it as “Duke” sucked away, nearly pulling me off my feet and the bottle away from me. Grandpa had gotten us another calf – a brown and white one. I don’t remember the breed type, but he was mean, and we didn’t mess with him. My siblings and I did fall in love with Duke, though.

As time past and Duke grew, he was so tame that we could stick a thumb into his mouth and he would follow us around. One day, both calves got out, but we didn’t know it. With Dad’s business on the main level of our house, he was home when a deputy sheriff came to ask if we owned some calves, which were down the road tromping through the large cemetery.

Dad left, taking one lead line with him to the cemetery. It went around the brown and white calf’s neck to lead him home. It was easier to bring Duke home. He didn’t need a lead line. He walked home following Dad while sucking his “pacifier” – Dad’s thumb.

As time past, the calves were taken to the butcher to be made into meat. Our family’s finances were not great, so we didn’t have steaks – a luxury food item, prior to having the calves. After the calves left, any kind of beef that was sat on the table in front of my siblings and I for supper – be it hamburgers, chuck roasts, and now steaks, was refused. We didn’t care about the brown and white - nameless calf, but we had loved our Duke and we sure weren’t going to take the chance of eating him!

We just hadn’t been raised from the beginning of our lives to take care of farm animals and then send them off to be made into meat for our meals. We never raised any other animals for meat, nor did farm life last for us, although I wanted it too as a child.


Silver Lace Wyandotte Hen
Photo by Tracey R. Simmons 2016
Fast forward to the present day and back on a small farm, not as grand, and without a huge wooden barn, but it's a place in the country - a dream come true. It's a "Little Bit of Paradise." There’s still the dead chicken situation. Since this is not a typical farm where farm animals are raised for meat, I was not going to make chicken noodle soup out of her or homemade chiken nuggets. She was a pet who gave great eggs. She needed to be buried, but how can that be done when the ground is frozen? Well for now, she is frozen by Mother Earth and laying in the "Chick Condo" - the small summer chicken house where predators can’t get to her. Hopefullty, she can be buried soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment